BANKING AWARENESS1. Provisioning :
Provisioning is made for the likely loss in the profit and loss account while finalizing accounts of banks. All banks are supposed to make assets classification and make appropriate provisions for likely losses in their balance sheets.
2.Arbitrage : buying a financial instrument in one market in order to sell the same instrument at higher price in another market.
3. Right issue :An issue of shares offered at a special price by a company to its existing shareholders in proportion to their holding of old shares.
4. Banker’s lien :Type of charge that gives a bank automatic claim over a borrower’s property or assets that come in bank’s possession in the normal course of its business.
5. Hypothecation :Hypothecation is legal term that refers to the granting of a hypothec to a lender by a borrower. In practice, the borrower pledges an asset as collateral for a loan, 1while retaining ownership of the assets and enjoying the benefits there from.
6. Garnishee Order :When a court directs a bank to attach the funds to the credit of customer’s account under provisions of Section 60 of the code of civil procedure,1908.
7. Ask Price :The lowest price at which a dealer is willing to sell a given security.
1.Which state government has launched Zero Budget Natural Farming (ZBNF) project to promote organic farming : Himachal Pradesh.
Explanation : Jai Ram Thakur, The chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, has launched Zero Budget Natural Farming (ZBNF) project to promote organic farming. The purpose of the project is to increase agriculture produce and the income of farmers by the year 2022.
2.Who has been appointed the new director general of the Sports Authority of India (SAI): Neelam Kapoor.
Explanation : Neelam Kapoor, a 1982 batch officer of the Indian Information Service (IIS), has been appointed as the new director general of the Sports Authority of India (SAI). The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved her appointment to the post till her superannuation, i.e. July 31, 2019.
3.The 2018 Data Privacy Day (DPD) is observed on which date : January 28.
Explanation : The Data Privacy Day (DPD) is observed every year on January 28 to raise awareness and promote privacy and data protection best practices.
4. Which country has become the world’s largest steel producer in 2017, as per latest report published by World Steel Association (WSA) : China.
Explanation : China has remained the world’s largest steel producer in 2017 by producing 831.7 million tonnes (MT), according to a latest report published by World Steel Association (WSA). Japan has acquired 2nd position while India overtook the US to become the world’s 3rd largest steel producer.
5. What is the India’s rank in the 2017 EIU Global Democracy Index : 42nd.
Explanation : India has been ranked 42nd out of 165 countries at the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)’s annual Global Democracy Index due to rise of conservative religious ideologies and increase in vigilantism and violence against minorities as well as other dissenting voices.
6.Which city is hosting the 7th India Energy Congress (IEC) 2018 : New Delhi.
Explanation : The 7th edition of India Energy Congress (IEC) 2018 has started in New Delhi with theme “Energy 4.0: Energy Transition Towards 2030” on February 1, 2018. It was organised by World Energy Council (WEC) India and inaugurated by Union Power and New and Renewable Energy Minister R K Singh.
7.Anu Kumar has grabbed the first gold medal of the Khelo India School Games in 1500 metres. He hails from which state : Uttrakhand.
Explanation : Anu Kumar of Uttarakhand has grabbed the first gold medal of the Khelo India School Games in 1500 metres at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.